Today Misters and Misses bloggers we will present one of the most useful plugins. The Better Search Replace.
When moving your WordPress site to a new domain or server, you will likely run into a need to run a search replace on the database for everything to work correctly. Fortunately, there are several plugins available for this task, however, all have a different approach to a few key features. This plugin consolidates the best features from these plugins, incorporating the following features in one simple plugin:
- Serialization support for all tables
- The ability to select specific tables
- The ability to run a “dry run”* to see how many fields will be updated.
- No server requirements aside from a running installation of WordPress
- WordPress Multisite support. (from official website) .
* DRY RUN is a pre-run of the plugin , which afer it finishes will show you how manyeffects will be replaced if you run the Normal Run. Hence , you will see later in this post.
WPMO’s TIP : WE ALSO NEED TO RUN A SEARCH REPLACE WHEN WE ADD AN SSL CERTIFICATE TO OUR SITE OR WHEN WE RUN THE LET’S ENCRYPT FUNCTIONALITY WHICH IS ALSO OFFERED BY SITEGROUND FOR FREE.
So let’s see now how we can use this awesome plugin. In addition we can use the search function inside phpMyAdmin and make manually the replacements.
1.After accessing cPanel we need to navigate to phpMyAdmin.
Don’t be frustrated by the oleocarp prefix. It’s just our account’s prefix which always escorting our databases that we create inside our account.
Choose the appropriate Database as seen below (2nd image).
2.Press the SEARCH tab.
a. Type in the desired word or phrase. Then select one of the available choices that you have. Most Preferably 1st “at least one of the words”.
b.Click inside “inside tables”
c.Press “Ctrl+A” to select all tables before searching.
3. We now run the Search Replace function. After the procedure we can see the count of matches that it found.
WE CAN ALSO RUN A SEARCH REPLACE USING THE PLUGIN
1. Tools – > Better Search Replace
2. Follow the previous way’s similar procedure.
Search for …
Replace with desired new word or phrase. MOST NOTEWORTHY DO NOT FORGET WHEN RUNNING NORMAL RUN (AND NOT A DRY ONE) TO UNCLICK “RUN AS A DRY RUN”.
At this point we need to inform you that in our case we DID run the search replace both ways. Both when we migrated wordpressmoneyonline.com and then again when we attached the Let’s encrypt functionality to our blog.
3. After every successful step, we recommend to run again the Better Search Plugin(Preferably dry RUN) both to find and discover any leftover registries and to confirm everything was replaced correctly. By running ths procedure via phpMyAdmin you can also get same results. Consequently let’s do it. Don’t worry and be happy now. 🙂
WPMO’s Best also SAFEST Search Replace method is described here.
Oh.. we forgot the most important. Fastest too. 🙂
Hence , time , safety , quality are all important variables resulting to profit.