I hope you completed yesterdays homework. If so you should now be the owner of a brilliant looking website with a great initial article/blog post that people want to read. Today we will be looking at ways that your website can make you money!!!
How to make money online
I bet the majority of people reading this training course think that to make money from your website you just need to put adverts on your pages. Wrong!!! There are many ways to make money from your website, adverts being just a small portion. The best way to make money online is to use a combination of these so that you aren’t relying on one method. After all it’s better not to keep all your eggs in one basket!
Different methods to monetize your website
1. Pay Per Click Advertising – These types of adverts pay you every time someone clicks onto them. You have to sign up to a provider, who will give you code for you to place on your site. This code allows the provider to send contextual ads to your site (either image or text based) that are relevant to the content of your site. Google Adsense is the most famous and widely used provider of this service, but there are many others out there.
These types of ads vary in profitability. It all depends on how many clicks you are getting. The more traffic that you get, the more likely that some will click onto them. This can be helped by the positioning of your ads, as certain parts of your web pages are more valuable than others, such as the beginning and end of an article.
2. Cost Per Mile Advertising – This type of advert is similar to ‘Pay Per Click’, however instead of earning for every click that you get, you get paid according to the number of impressions that you receive. This is worked out for every 1000 impressions that it has. For example, a website that gets 200,000 page views per month that displays a $1 Cost Per Mile ad will generate you $200 a month!
Just like Pay Per Click, Cost Per Mile adverts can pay you more depending on where the advert is placed on your website. The higher the ad is placed and the bigger the ad is, it will generally make you more money.
3. Advertising Space – You could instead cut out the middle man and make money by selling your own advertising space. This way advertisers would pay you an agreed amount for you to display their advert for a set time.
2. Product Reviews – Simply write a detailed review about a product (that has an affiliate scheme) and publish them on your site, just add a link at the bottom. Obviously it is better to review products that are related to your website, as you are catering to your target audience.
The great thing with selling online is that you have a potential market place of 6+ billion people. You wouldn’t get that down your local high street now would you!
These are just some of the ways that you could make money online with your website. For more ways, check out my ’30 Ways Your Website can earn you Money’.
I hope that these have opened your eyes to the possibilities of making money online. As I said earlier, the best way to earn online is to use a combination of a number of different ones. For today’s homework, I want you to follow these steps and add your first advert on your website.
1. Sign up to Google Adsense.
2. Pick which sized advert that you want to display.
3. Copy the code that they will give you.
4. Paste it into your WordPress account in the proper place.
Congratulations, you have got your first advert up on your site! Now we need to increase the traffic to your site to try to increase the chances of someone clicking on it. Tomorrow we shall be looking at ways to increase traffic to your website!!!